Thursday, January 25, 2007

Northern Exposure and New York Nostalgia

I'm back to my favorite pastime: ordering mass aounts of free movies and CD's from the public library. Fortunately, unlike NYC, people in Seattle are much less interested in obscure historical dramas. They also don't seem to check out many TV seasons on DVD, so...I'm now watching my way back through NORTHERN EXPOSURE season by season.

I've always said that if I could write myself onto a TV show as myself, it would be Northern Exposure. I would be reviving (or organizing) the community theatre, but like everything in Cicely, Alaska, it would be a bit absurdist, philosophical and sweet. (also like me?) And I would be wooed by Chris-in-the-Morning, or maybe just get to be his substitute Deejay.

But what rewatching the show has actually got me thinking about is Joel's transistion from New York City to the Pacific Northwest. Sound familiar? The show was actually filmed here, not far from Seattle. So am I whining about the things I miss in NY? Joel had a crate of bagels shipped in and made his girlfriend fly in with a pastrami sandwhich from Stage Delicatessan. What do I miss? What would I make Kim bring me?

I miss being able to get a sandwhich on every corner, and one that's not from SUBWAY "eat fresh". I MISS reading on my beloved C train and taking extra long errand routes during work so I had more time to read on the M15 bus. I kind of miss having to always to go the Ethiopian consulate and Vietnamese mission to the UN- I felt very important (both for having to go there and because the Ethiopian receptionist was starting to know me). I miss filling all my shopping needs out of Duane Reade drug stores. I MISS working on Broadway and getting to put tourists onstage.

But mostly (and this is the only one I ever spend time actually thinking about) I miss your apartments and you in them. I miss Garth's messy bedroom, Anne cooking in the kitchen, Seth when he is about to or just got back from being on tour, my sugarbear Katrina with guitar and accordian, Kiko giggling on the sofa, Niegel knitting and bringing treats to our place, Richard forcing me go to Queens, and of course my non-romantic life partner Kim waiting for me to call her as I walk the five minute journey home from the subway, ready to watch malcom in the middle, or letting me subject her to some Joaquin Phoenix movie that not even He ever watched. There's so many more friends, faces and places- RICK!!!!- and I carry you guys around in my heart. Literally...it was an effect of the pneumonia. You're all stuck in my aorta now.

I LOVE YOU






this last one cracks me up: Neigel, Garth and Scott are looking very serious. Oh I miss the dudes.

4 comments:

Katrina Monta said...

things i bet you don't miss: the hoes on franklin ave, the funky smell on the brooklyn-bound side of the franklin ave C stop, weirdo chinese food places that possibly gave you pneumonia, accidently throwing out your monthly metrocard....shall i go on?

Kj said...

I forgot about the chinese food the day before i started dying. Hmm...
and what was worst about the brooklyn bound side of the franklin stop was when they'd try to cover over the smell with bleach and amonia. you could feel your lungs closing the second you got off the train. Oh, but I do miss the Asian lady who sold pirated DVD's and toy cellphones. I loved her.

Ganch said...

Ah, KJ, I gotta second your emotion. I miss you and everybody and new york and it is sad sad sad. this was a lovely post. i teared a little.

kikodelo said...

Re the brooklyn-bound side of the Franklin C...
I always hold my breath and sometimes sprint to the Library just to make sure I didn't inhale anything...

oh, brooklyn :)