Saturday, December 13, 2008

Song of the Month Club

In class the other day, we got to talking about the seasons: how differently we interact with and feel about each season of the year, memories they bring up, and also alternative seasons to mark our time by rather than just the nature cycle. I was browsing my ITunes and found myself instinctually reminding myself to watch Walk The Line after Christmas, and I started to realize how I have some pretty consistent music seasons. I'm pretty sure this is what they've sounded like the past few years.



January
Johnny Cash, Ralph Stanley, Dolly Parton
February
Glen Hansard/”Once"Soundtrack
March
Rameau, Handel, “Marie Antoinette” Soundtrack
April
Simon & Garfunkel
May
Death Cab for Cutie, Postal Service, Iron & Wine
June
Podcasts
July
Podcasts
August
Blind Melon, Counting Crows, REM
September
Eastern European Folk/Pop
October
Vivaldi
November
William Byrd, Josquin Desprez, Arvo Part, Meredith Monk
December
Sufjan Stevens


Of course, I've got Christmas music playing from late October through mid January, but themes emerge even through that. And I was surprised (but not surprised) to notice that I really do kind of go into internal hibernation during summer. Hibernation or denial, not sure, but first day of Summer is apparently the day the music dies.

What are your music seasons?

No comments: