Thursday, May 8, 2008

Synchronicity

What do these three people have in common?


At least one of them was in the last six movies I watched, as of two days ago. After watching Dan in Real Life, Heaven, Becoming Jane, Atonement, Elizabeth: the Golden Age and Trois Couleurs: Bleu, I realized that every film was starring either Cate Blanchet, James McAvoy or Juliette Binoche.

The only break in the pattern was when I watched The Piano which, though not featuring any of the above three actors, did feature the Academy Award winning performance by young Anna Paquin,who was also in Franco Zefirelli's Jane Eyre, which I revisited today only to realize that it was shot on the same manor location, Haddon Hall, as the recent BBC Jane Eyre that I have been watching repeatedly since I go it from the library. (I've neglected to add it to my film roster more than once because frankly, it would be embarressing to admit how many times I've watched it this month, especially considering its four hours long).
And Haddon Hall was also featured in the 2005 Pride and Prejudice that featured Brenda Blethyn, which takes us not only back to Atonement, where she plays James McAvoy's mother, but to Becoming Jane, the bio-pic of Jane Austen, author of Pride and Prejudice.

So there you go.

No comments: