Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Leadership Credo

Here's my oh so reluctant stab at naming what I think "leaders" should be held accountable to, that I had to do for class.

I believe leadership is an unhelpful word. In all parts of our life, we follow, are followed and struggle for unity – and diversity.

I believe that wanting to be liked is not a sin, and should not deter from offering one’s voice.

I believe fear of responsibility is not a sin and should not deter from offering one’s service.

I believe self-righteousness is not a virtue and should not guarantee words being heeded.

I believe being able to “power-through” is not a virtue and should not guarantee dictates being obeyed.

I believe our inability to gauge one another’s value and our tendency to miscalculate our own, is a fact and should not deter us from trying to listen and trying to speak.

I believe charisma is not a measure of one’s ability to guide others, nor introversion the mark of an administrator.

I believe vision without action is nonsense, and action without vision is laziness.

I believe the greater effort is to become one who can be converted, rather than one who converts.

No one is always a leader and never a follower, thus the term leadership is a deficient construct that serves only to exalt one perspective (or person) at the cost of lowering another.

Therefore, I believe the process of guiding and being guided is an ever-expanding movement towards maturity through humility.

3 comments:

Jarrod said...

Reluctant...but well stated.

Thanks for posting this. Your words make the term "leadership" less deficient.

Here's to your life of redefining what it means to lead.

Ashley Jennings said...

i like the converted part..

Jen HW said...

LOVE this: "I believe the greater effort is to become one who can be converted, rather than one who converts."